...No not another woeful runner's blog entry talking about blackened toenails. This is more about my usual grumble of not looking after them sufficiently and how their need for a little TLC.
Let's look back over the past month
- GUCR
- Several trail runs
- South Downs Way
Which comes to just under 200 miles, 2 of those runs totalling 128 miles. The deep heel blisters from the GUCR took about 3 weeks to really dry out and start to crack requiring some skin cream which has been fine for a few dry runs but the South Downs put pay to that when another blood blister appeared under the weakened skin. All these issues I can deal with but yesterday's run on the very wet and very muddy paths put pay to this for when I arrived home, bathed and my feet dried out found that enough was enough and great swathes of dried heel skin was peeling off.
Time for action
A complete work out on my feet, armed with emery boards, scissors and the skin cream mentioned above I went to work. Nails clipped I can report the following:
| Big | Index | Middle | Fourth | Little | |
| Left | D/X | X | D | ||
| Right | DX | X | D | D |
| Damaged | D |
| Missing | X |
I addition the hardened skin has been softened up and I have just been in time to prevent (I hope) any heel cracking and can be assured that there are no infected areas...not a pretty sight.


Ouch, sounds bad but I always find it amazing how our bodies can take care of things like this and get better. Hope it all heals completely soon.
ReplyDelete